Renewed Focus on Fire Doors
Action to improve standards in the installation and maintenance of fire doors
Following the tragic events at Grenfell Tower the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) commissioned independent tests of a number of installed fire doors. A number of the doors tested did not fully meet the fire resistance criteria and these have now been withdrawn from sale.
The Secretary of State for Communities has now ordered action to improve standards. As a result the MHCLG is working with third party certification bodies to develop minimum standards of assurance for fire doors and also writing to Building Control bodies highlighting the need check that new fire door installations meet Building Regulations guidance.
What a Third-Party Accredited Installation and Maintenance Scheme means:
• Raises the on-going standard of the installation and maintenance of fire doors
• Ensures the product’s fire resistance capabilities are maintained
• Ensures the product’s service life is maximized through correct installation and maintenance
• Provides peace of mind that the maintainer/installer is suitably qualified and that any work is continually assessed by an independent body
• Provides clients with the means to demonstrate that the installation and maintenance meets the standard required
Third-Party Accredited Fire Door Installation and Maintenance schemes demonstrate competence in the installation and maintenance of fire doors.
There is a legal requirement for manufacturers of fire doors to demonstrate the ability of their products to resist the passage and spread of fire. However, if they are not properly installed or maintained, their fire resistance capabilities can be seriously compromised. Third Party Accredited Fire Door Installation and Maintenance schemes have been designed to provide reassurance to specifiers, contractors and end users that the products chosen have been installed and maintained correctly in order for them to perform as intended.
Strictly Education property advisors and the helpdesk are working closely with contractors to ensure that any future fire door related works will be supported by third party accreditation.