The main changes to SIMS…
Special Educational Needs (SEN)
From September 2014 any pupils recorded with SEN should be added to the SEN Register using the new codes for Education, Health & Care Plans (E) and SEN Support (K).
The K code amalgamates the two codes of A (School Action) and P (School Action Plus) and these codes will gradually be phased over by 2016 where a pupil has been assessed as having significant learning difficulties. Four types of action should be put in place for effective support, assess, plan, do and review.
The E code this replaces the current code for Statemented pupils (Code S). The LA have reviewed and assessed the education health and care needs of a pupil and issued an EHC plan. The timescale for the transfer onto the new EHC plan is by 2017.
In line with the SEN Code of Practice, the following changes have been made to the SEN Status lookup table:
- Education, Health and Care plan (Code E)
- SEN Support (Code K)
The following changes have been made to the SEN Needs lookup table:
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health (Code SEMH)
- No Specialist Assessment (Code NSA)
The pupil SEN area now accommodates all of the changes mentioned above including the new EHC panel to record the information.
There is also a new facility in the Tools | SEN | Setup area to turn off the panel Additional Support (Welsh fields).
- Remove unwanted Analysis Components i.e. Group, Aspect Result and Chance Analysis
- Sorting by Colour on a mark sheet
- Hiding Columns and the new Reveal option for deciding which columns will be hidden in the mark sheet
- Assessment Mapping Tool: The new utility which enables you to map aspect and result sets that have been defined in your school, along with those defined by Capita SIMS. These will link in with the new Assessment report due in the Spring term.
- New primary Assessment Progress Grid is available to support the entry of assessment for the new curriculum. This template will need to be imported using the following route:
Routines | Data In | Assessment | Import…navigate to the AMPA folder (where SIMS is stored) | England Primary (+ Middle Deemed Primary) | Assessing Pupil Progress | Grid Templates | CAS APP Grid Template – Primary 2014.
Discover Dynamic Groups have previously only able to be used in SIMS .net Assessment for analysis but there is a new functionality now that allows school to use these groups to further analyse their data on the Discover canvas.